Course Title: Digital Heritage: Visualization of Monuments and Artifacts
Course Number: GS 512
Credits & hours: 0.5 credits (tot. 7.5 hours)
Pre/Co-Requisites: Enrollment in an M.A. Program
This workshop introduces students to one of the most flexible 3D digital technique data recording and visualization today. Such technologies are widely used in many different settings but have particular relevance to museums, art galleries and cultural heritage sites. The workshop will demonstrate how using 3D technology (structure for motion) can be used as an administrative and research tool as well as engaging the public. This lab-based workshop will provide students with the necessary technical and methodological skills to start exploring the impact that new technologies and practices might have on analysis and interpretation.
The course will be graded on a pass/fail basis. To obtain a passing grade students must have full attendance and must complete the practical exercise.
Course Bibliography (subject to change)
- De Reu, J., Plets, G., Verhoeven, G., De Smedt, P., Bats, M., Cherretté, B., De Maeyer, W., Deconynck, J., Herremans, D., Laloo, P., Van Meirvenne, M., and De Clercq. W. 2012. Towards a three-dimensional cost-effective registration of the archaeological heritage. Journal of Archaeological Science 40 (2): 1108-21.
- Galeazzi, F., Callieri, M., Dellepiane, M., Charno, M., Scopigno, R., and Richards, J. 2016. Web-based Visualization for 3D Data in Archaeology: The ADS 3D Viewer. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 9: 1-11.
- Galeazzi, F. 2015. Towards the Definition of Best 3D Practices in Archaeology: Assessing 3D Documentation Techniques for Intra-site Data Recording. Journal of Cultural Heritage 17: 159-169
- Potenziani, M., Callieri, M., Dellepiane, M., Corsini, M., Ponchio, F., Scopigno, R., 2015. 3DHOP: 3D Heritage Online Presenter. Computer & Graphics 52, 129-141.
- Agisoft Photoscan
Course Learning Objectives
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- record an artefact/monument in 3D using images/photos
- create a basic online infrastructure/visualization of the produced data with related metadata/info.
Practical exercise using appropriate software 100%
1.5 hours - Structure for motion - Introduction
2 hours - Structure for motion - Practice
2 hours - Online 3D visualization - Introduction
2 hours - Online 3D visualization - Practice
7.5 hours - TOTAL